This summer, PCC is challenging you to “Do Good” in your local community!
Summer is a great time for small groups to take a break, for families to get much needed R&R together, AND…a GREAT time to reach out and help those around you! Whether you do this individually, gather a group of friends, or use these opportunities to gather your small group over the summer, we encourage you to take some time to serve those in need. Below are some ideas, though you are not at all limited to this list:
- Bring lunch or snacks to first responders
- Leave a special note and/or treat for your delivery person at your home or office.
- Make a family fun kit (s’mores, popcorn pack w/movie rental code) for your neighbors.
- Grab some gloves and a trash bag. Walk around your neighborhood or local park and pick up trash. Feel free to pause and encourage any neighbors you see along the way!
- Offer to buy classroom supplies for a teacher that you know (many have amazon wish lists).
- Make a “sunshine kit” for someone who may need cheering up.
- Collect and donate food to local food banks.
- Hold a free garage sale, or consider charging for items and donating the funds
- Do lawn work for an elderly person or single parent.
- Place American flags at a veteran’s cemetery.
- Host a free car wash for a local school or in the community.
- Give out coffee and donuts at a local college campus.
- Serve bottled water at a local sports practices or events.
- Instead of Christmas caroling, sing other songs at nursing home windows.
- Spread cheer at your local hospital for staff & patients with signs, free donuts, etc.
- Have kids draw special pictures. Use these as wrapping paper—tuck inside a piece of wrapped candy or a silk flower, along with a note like “Thanks for being so nice!” or “You made my day!” Then keep these in a bag and when you’re out together, stay on the lookout for a nice cashier, helpful librarian, or kind friend to hand out your surprise packages.
- Write letters to deployed service members – CLICK HERE TO DO THAT
- Deliver fresh flowers to a local nursing home. Make cards for the residents and the health care providers. Pray for them on the way to deliver the surprises.
- Notice a neighbor in need of something? Maybe the lawn mowed, a tree removed or some home repair? Maybe your neighbor is in need of a meal, or some cookies, or some encouragement in the form of balloons or flowers. Look around your street, your apartment building, or your neighborhood and see where you can offer your services or leave an encouraging surprise.
Questions? Contact the following Do Good Coordinators for your campus:
Aylett – firstname.lastname@example.org
Farmville – email@example.com
Online – firstname.lastname@example.org
Powhatan – email@example.com
Riverside – firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you’ve completed your efforts, we’d love to hear about it! Share your experience below and you’ll be entered to win one of FIVE summer cooler combos, complete with goodies to host your own summer gathering!
Share Your Summer Do Good Experience